Sunday, June 15, 2008

Fatherhood... Richest Of Blessings


Jody asked me if I wanted to write something on the family blog for father's day. Although I could never translate my feelings of being and having a father into words, I agreed to share some thoughts... some of my own, and some of those much wiser than myself.


I start with a poem from an unknown author:


Dear God, my little boy of three

has said his nightly prayer to Thee;

Before his eyes were closed in sleep

he asked that Thou his soul would keep.

And I, still kneeling at his bed,

my hand upon his tousled head,

do ask, with deep humility

that Thou, dear Lord, remember me.


Make me kind, Lord, a worthy dad,

that I may lead this bright young lad,

in pathways ever fair and bright,

help him keep his steps aright.

Oh, God, his trust must never be

destroyed or ever marred by me.

So, for the simple things he prayed,

with innocent voice so unafraid.

I, trembling, ask the same from Thee.

Dear Lord, kind Lord, remember me.


On many occasions at night, I watch my children as they sleep. I study their precious faces and contemplate my relationship, my time, my future with each of them.


Emily, my firstborn, will be 6 in less than 4 months. Easy it is to recall the vivid picture in my mind the precise moment she departed heaven and entered my life... love at first sight for the second time in my life. My heart aches as I imagine her leaving our home in as little as 12 years. That translates, in this sentimental dad's heart, to 1/3 of my time with my little girl is spent. She and I have experienced so many wonderful moments together... just the two of us. She will always be my little girl. I hope and pray constantly that I use each day as the gift it is to be with her, listen to her, watch her grow, and relish the experience of life with her. Every moment I love you... my little sweet pea!


Brett, my second born, is now 3 as the poem above coincidentally states. When I ponder his birth, I remember his eyes opened slow and steady straightway in my direction as his head came out... those profound, heavenly eyes penetrated my soul and it was love at first sight for the third time in my life as tears quenched my face. A flash of lightning, a crash of thunder, and rain poured down seconds after Brett completed his birth. A rainbow soon followed as I peered through the window at the Bountiful temple hillside. I will always know why God cried that day... he had let one of his favorites go off to school. Jody has heard me express on occasion that I feel Brett and I were best friends in heaven before this life. We fought side by side in the war in heaven. He is my little man and I cherish the blessing of being his father and best friend in this life. I would give my life for him... or any of my children.


Savannah, my third born, is growing so quickly and is already 5+1/2 months old! Her birth was so fast and an exciting one! Jody pushed almost 4 hours with Emily, barely over an hour with Brett, and just over 6 minutes with Savannah! Not knowing what gender she'd be... it was special and fun to tell Jody, "it's a girl!" Quite certainly my favorite part of our trip to Washington/Oregon last month was getting to know Savannah in greater depth. I held her in my arms at every opportunity and re-lived the first-time wonderment of the Oregon Coast by watching her expressions. She is pure joy and her heart is full of love... it truly is an absolute honor to have her in my life... my little Sweetie Pie! I look forward to the future and watching her grow under the close vigilance of big sister and brother.


To quote the late Gordon B. Hinkley: "How much more beautiful would be the world and the society in which we live if every father looked upon his children as the most precious of his assets, if he led them by the power of his example in kindness and love, and if in times of stress he blessed them by the authority of the holy priesthood;... said Isaiah of old, "All thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children." To which I add, "Great also shall be the peace and the gladness of their fathers and mothers."


Save only Jody, I have no greater friends or cherished blessings in my life than my children. I am in the truest sense an extremely wealthy man... I am rich in love. I strive to live my life in such a way as to demonstrate that I do not take them for granted. My life is full... what greater blessings or accomplishments do I have left in life? None... no none greater than my wife and children. In fact, not one treasure this world or life has to offer succeeds in comparison to the value at which I hold my priceless family... not one.


To my daddy and to my Heavenly Father, I bid happy fathers' day! I know you both love and cherish me... of this I have no doubt. There are innumerable examples of this love I have witnessed in my blessed life. Dad, you always spelled your love for me as T-I-M-E. You also love me every day that you love my mother... thank you for your example of loving unconditionally. You taught me to love all people... no matter their shape, size, or color. I never expect you to be perfect, but you are the perfect father for me in this life... I hope you always remember that. I am thankful for fathers and the true blessing of being trusted to be a father. I will one day face our eternal Father and thank Him with full heart and emptying eyes.


To any father who reads these words, remember: love them, teach them, respect them, and pray with them and for them.


God bless you and yours... always,

Mike

6 comments:

Jenn said...

Great job Mike! I loved reading this. You are very good at writing...you should do it more often! You are a great Daddy and husband. Happy Father's Day!

Dusty And Mandi said...

I loved reading this. You have such a way with words. And you sure are lucky to have such a wonderful family! Y'all (yeah... that's from being back in Kansas) are so cute together!

Anonymous said...

So sweet mike! You really do have a way with words and it was so fun to read about your experiences with your kids....made me cry!

cassy said...

Aww Mike is just so sweet!!! Happy Fathers Day!

Jody Neeley said...

Mike, thank you so much for being such a wonderful Dad. The kids and I truly are blessed to have you. I love you, Happy Fathers Day. Jody

Amanda fair said...

Oh my goodness, talk about tears. Jody does Mike have any single brother's?! Hahahahahaha That was a beautiful portray of feelings i have ever read! WOW girl, are you lucky! So I haven't seen ya in a few weeks, but as for you question about my blog list.... if you go to the page where you can add elements it is listed at the top as a "new" element. "Lists" I believe. Kind of cool to see when everyone has updated their pages without having to look at everyone's every day. =)