Thursday, April 30, 2009

Thank You


First of all, Mike and I want to say "Thank you" to all of you who have supported us through this very difficult time. Words cannot express our gratitude. When we got home late last night Mike and I read your words on the last few posts with tears in our eyes. Thank you for your words, your encouragement and especially your prayers. We believe that Savannah was so blessed, as were we by the many prayers in our behalf. Thank you. And thanks to my sister Jenny for just doing the blog and posts without even asking. It was nice to have all of your encouragement.
On Sunday around 3:15 pm Savannah had her first seizure. She had just got up from her nap and was her usual self. I noticed that she felt a little warm, nothing too serious but I knew even without checking a temp that she had a slight fever. She was playing and then came to me and laid her head on my chest and started making strange swallowing noises. I looked at her and knew she was having a seizure. I called for Mike. When she finished I gave her Motrin figuring it was a febrile seizure and it would pass. She didn't look at me, she didn't cry and was very flaccid and weak. I was hoping she was just post ictal when she started to seize again. We called 911 and the paramedics arrived. Her sats were initially in the high 70's, but jumped quickly to 92. They put her on blow by o2 and transfered her to the ambulance where she continued to seize. They had a hard time getting an IV line in (everyone did, even the special IV team at Children's). When we got to the ER about 10 minutes later everyone started working on her immediatly to stop the seizures. The gave her 2 mg Ativan and then had to follow it up twice with .5mg more each time just to get them to stop. After they stopped she was given Dilantin (anti seizure med) loading dose. She had her eyes open the whole time, they were just looking up and to the right. When they noticed that her left pupil was larger than the right I just started to cry. You would think a little bit of medical knowledge would help in these kind of situations, but in reality it just made it so much worse. I have seen people with hypoxic brain injuries, people who have serious long term effects from incidents just like this. I was just so scared, and felt like I would never see my little girl again. My mom talked to me at this time, and after we hung up she and my Dad decided to get in the car and drive down. They will never know the amount of relief I felt when I heard they were coming. I love them so much and will be eternally gratful that they did this for us, without me even having to ask. Thank you so much!
A CAT scan was done, without contrast so is wasn't something that could show brain function but they were able to see that there was no mass (huge relief). Then they decided to ship her to Rady Childrens Hospital in San Diego. Now that her seizures were controlled they felt she was stable enough to move. Her sats were stable but they considered intubating her for the transport. I am grateful they did not have to, I am also grateful that they felt she could go 20 minutes by ambulance instead of by life flight. Rady Childrens Hospital is apparantly one of the top hospitals in the US and they sent a transport team. Resp. Therapist and a life flight nurse for the transfer. When we arrived at their step down ICU she had 2 more seizures and they gave her another 1mg of Ativan. They then did a lumbar puncture. They wouldn't let me stay in the room, even though I begged. Afterward the nurse told me that even though Savannah wasn't responding to anything at all she did cry a little and try to squirm away during the proceedure. Even though I don't want her to hurt, this was really good news that she was responding to painful stimuli. It was a tough night to say the least. Mike took the kids back to the condo and so I was alone with my thoughts and fears. Savannah had one more seizure, the last one at 11:30 that night. The seizures escalated with each one. The last involved her whole body. My parents arrived to the condo at 5am the next day, slept just a couple of hours and then sent Mike to be with me while they watched the kids. Because of the swine flu, the hospital was on lock down. No one except parents could visit.
The next day she had an EEG in the morning which was normal and an MRI that afternoon which was normal. I was so relieved to hear that, and kept hoping she would start to wake up. That evening she started to open her eyes, and started to cry. What a beautiful noise! She still wouldn't look at us, but wanted me to hold her. That night she had 2 really bad fits (lasting about 4 hours total) that she was totally inconsolable. She would writhe around on the bed, hit me, scratch and scream if I tried to hold her. I was worried it was the medication Keppra that she was on but the neurologist felt she was just coming back after the seizures. The neurologist said that it would probably take at least a week for her to get totally back to herself, and that left untreated this could have caused death and it was so important that she stay on these meds for 6-12 months.
They never could figure out what caused this, although they all agree that Savannah probably has a seizure disorder. They won't clasify it as epilepsy yet, but we are all watching her closely. What occured is called Status elipticus. Meaning she had a seizure that lasted more than 30 minutes. On Tuesday evening she was discharged, they really wanted us to make it home on our flight and follow up with neurology here. Right before discharge she started holding up her head on her own, started to look and focus on me. Yesterday at this time she started to walk a little bit. Right now she can walk but she is still pretty unsteady. Personality wise, she is more irritable, and doesn't seem like herself but I keep seeing little glimpses of her every once in awhile. When I met with the Neurologist here up at Primary's today he assured me that although she is taking longer than usual to get back to baseline, he was optomistic that she would totally return in about a week. We hope and pray that he is right. I am so grateful for all of you, sorry for the rambling post, I just wanted all of you to know what happened and where we are now. Thank you, we love you all! Our prayers were answered and I thank my Father in Heaven for being mindful of our little family.


24 comments:

Oblad girl said...

Jody, I am sooo sorry about this horrible ordeal. I hope everything turns out for the better.

bottspot said...

So glad to hear she is improving. Hope she continues. What a frightening experience for any mom! Please let me know what I can do for you.

Berry said...

After reading everything, I'm sitting here crying. I am so sorry for what you have had to go through. I'm glad Savannah is doing better. Please let me know how I can help. Jody, you are so strong, more than you know! We will keep the prayers coming your way. Love ya!

Our Family said...

You and your family have been in our thoughts. We will continue to pray for comfort for you and Mike and for Savannah. We were able to stay
in the room when lizzie had a lumbar puncture. They made us sit down because a lot of parents faint watching their child during it. I am glad she is home and in the good hands of Primary's.

Karina H. said...

Jody & Mike-

Just a sigh a relief to know you are back and that Savannah seems to be stabilized. I can only imagine how scary and stressful this has been.

I was glad to hear that your parents were able to go down to be with you, I know it was a tremendous support. (no matter how old we get, we still want our moms around when times are tough) It is a relief to know your home so we can be of some help. Emily is welcome to come to our house after Kindergarten, I can pick her up when I get Morgan and you can leave Brett with me also. I'm sure you could use a nap or have a lot of Dr. appointments.

Love Ya-
Holberts

bobbi said...

Jody, I am so sorry that you have had to go through this, and while on vacation! It is every mother's worst nightmare. I am glad she is doing better and I hope that she continues to improve. Let me know if I can do anything! I would be happy to make you dinner or take your other kids for awhile to play. I am thinking about you, let me know!

Delahunty Family said...

I'm so glad she is improving, she has been blessed by our Father in Heaven and through the power of prayer, I'm so so happy she is doing better!

Jenn said...

I am SO GLAD to hear that things are going better! You guys have been on my mind constantly. You got me bawling reading this thing! What a nightmare. I really can't imagine...you are both so strong! Please let me know if you need anything!

jsfeatherstone said...

Oh Jody, I just feel so much love for you with my mother heart! I can't imagine what this experience was like nor the fear of the future. I know that faith is strengthened in these times but wow, seeing those pictures of Savannah were seriously heartbreaking to me. Please know that others' faith can carry you when you feel scared. You and your family are so very loved.

Andrea & Larry Pillsbury said...

Jody we will keep praying for your family and for your little cutie. Let me know if you need anything.

Jon said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys during this time. Please know that you have the love and support of many people.

-Jon Featherstone

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you guys are home and things are going well. I can't imagine not having my little baby banna here......I'm so happy you guys are home and she's getting better everyday. LOVES!

M. Harrison said...

We are releaved to know that you made it home, and that she is doing okay. What a crappy way to spend your supposed vacation...we love you guys and will continue to pray for you all as you are probably a bundle of nerves while watching her still. We are just glad that she is okay.
Jody, I didn't know that you had nursing training.

Sterner Family said...

Wow what an amazing story! I am soo happy that everyone is home and doing better. I couldn't even talk to Mike today at work because I knew I would cry. Prayers are answered, what an amazing blessing!
Your family is still in our thoughts and prayers.
~Dawn

fordfamily said...

I have been thinking about you constantly! I am so so sorry that you had to go through this. What a terrifying experience. My heart has been aching for you. I am glad to hear that things are getting better. Please, please let me know if there is ANYTHING that I can do for you. Give Savannah a kiss and a hug and say "get well baby!" from Sam and Jake. God Bless! You are still in my prayers.

Sara Drage said...

Jody, I am so happy that you all made it home! What a wonderful thing your parents did, I know what a relief it can be to have parents around in time of need....Keep us posted on her progress, we are all checking daily!! Best wishes!

Stacey said...

We are so happy to hear that Savannah is doing better! What a scary experience--I cannot imagine how worried you have been. We will keep you in our prayers. Please let us know if you need anything at all.

The Frugal Nut said...

We are so glad to hear that she is doing better, and that you made it home. We will still keep her in our prayers.

Phil and Julie said...

We are so pleased to hear that things are looking up. We pray that she will fully recover from this ordeal. You are great parents, and she is lucky to have you.

Dusty And Mandi said...

I am sooo happy she's doing so much better. I can't believe you had to go through all that. I was so worried for you guys. We'll keep praying for her.

Ruth said...

Reading through tears... So glad that you are home safe and sound, we will continue to pray for you all. Take care, and hang in there.

3 of us said...

Just reading this it is making me cry, I am so glad that you are home and that savannah is getting better, I am so glad that your parents were with you at your hardest time even though they couldn't see her in the hospital with the locked down, it gives you some peace to have family around during hard times.Jody and Mike you have a strong little girl that is for sure. Even though you are a nurse and seen so many things it is never any better when it is your own child I hope you guys can have a peace of mind soon and that this wont happen again. Love you guys!!

Liz said...

I hadn't checked anyone's blog for a while and my mom told me what she knew about what happened. I'm so grateful she is doing better and can only imagine how scary this all must have been. You are still in our prayers and hope she continues to improve.

Mikala said...

Oh my gosh! I step away from blogging for a bit and look what happens! Honey, I am so sorry to hear what has happened, but so grateful that she (and your family) is doing better. If there is anything I can do for you please let me know! Take care.