Monday, September 14, 2009

Labor Day Weekend

Mike goes camping every year with his Dad and brother over Labor Day. A few years ago they started having some of the nephews come. This year Mike decided to take Brett. I thought Brett was still a little young, but hey, if he wanted to take him, I was willing to let him go. I got all of Brett's things packed and right before Mike left he surprised Brett by telling him that he was coming too. Brett got a shocked look on his face, he couldn't believe he was going camping with Daddy! He had such a great time, and Mike did too. This year they went to Flaming Gorge, the campsite wasn't ideal and the fishing was pretty bad too, but Brett is still talking about it. Being able to spend a whole weekend with just Dad (and no girls - he keeps reminding me) truly was priceless to him.

Such a handsome little guy! I really did miss having him around!
Brett spent more time throwing rocks in the lake than trying to fish.
He also told me they had really good food there. "Really" I said, "What did you eat?" I was curious since he is such a picky eater. Brett answered, "Chips, nuts, snacks, cookies, chocolate...........oh and bacon! Mom, we should have those things for dinner, since I don't like potatoes." Oh, good to know! All I have to do is make dinner from the items listed above and his pickiness would be solved!
While the boys were gone Emily, Savannah and I went to the Children's Museum! I had not been to the new one, and if you haven't been you should check it out. We had such a great time. Em got behind the newscaster desk and seriously talked for like 10 minutes about a story she was "reporting" on. It was so cute!



They have a section where you can dress up and act. Savannah loved the Cheetah outfit and I had to bribe her with snacks to finally take it off!

Shopping at the grocery store was also a huge hit. Savannah would put the food in her cart, pay for it, pretend to eat it and put it back. Emily also had fun shopping for everything and playing with the cashier. It was a great day, we will have to go back soon and take Brett. Thanks to Shannon for getting us in and giving us the grand tour!


It was a good weekend, and although I had fun with just my girls, I was excited to have the boys come back home.





8 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah jody what's up with that? cooking potatoes not cookies for dinner? :) Looks like he had lots of fun with the boys. That is so fun that you took the girls to the muesuem, its such a fun place!

brilin said...

I'm glad you all had such a fun weekend. We had fun coming up for dinner-thanks again

Raab Family said...

Looks like fun. Your kids are so cute.

Dusty And Mandi said...

I caught a big fish at Flaming Gorge... what's their deal? Ha ha, jk. Glad he had so much fun. I bet Mike loved having a boys weekend. And the childrens museum looks cute! We'll have to go sometime.

bottspot said...

So cute! I love the picture of Emily broadcasting. Really looks like she knows what she's doing! And dad and son camping trips are always fun!

NeelsluvsU2! said...

I had a great time with Brett! It was a blessing to have some bonding time with him. He loved the fireworks they had on Saturday night. He learned how to throw a frisby ("crispy") really well. I'm definitely not a fan of the Flaming Gorge tundra. It's a barren wasteland in my opinion. I'm not much of a fisherman or a boater so there isn't much draw as the rest of the area is a dry God-forsaken desert. You'd have to pay me to go there again. I drove 6 hours for that location! Plus the campground was a dive! I look forward to taking Brett on our trip next year to a place that's actually beautiful! Mike

Lisa Sanderson said...

The best is Brett's face, priceless, he is so obviously thrilled to be up camping. I totally dig the spiderman hat as well.

archiecrew said...

I'm goin to have to check out the museum. Sienna would love the grocery store too! Love the corn nuts pic! It is a staple of camping.