Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Boy or Girl?

Nope, we don't know what we are having. In fact we are still trying to decide if we are even going to find out. But, I am posting this because I have been hearing so many funny ideas on how to tell what you are having and had to share!

~First of all, the penny test. You hold a penny by a string and have it hang over your wrist. If it turns in a circular motion it is a girl. If the penny goes back and forth you are having a boy. My friend Sarah tried this highly scientific theory out on me while at work. You know, when it was slow for like 2 minutes. The results - a GIRL

~Next, there is holding a ring above your belly with the same movements to watch for as above. I did this while bored one day when the kids were napping. The results - a BOY

~Now I was curious to see if there were any other crazy theories out there and googled "Finding out Gender of Baby" The results had me laughing out loud. There were a few quiz's that asked questions like, are you craving salt or sweet food, has your significant other gained weight, is the hair on your legs long and soft or course and prickly? Seriously!!! It was so funny! The results - a BOY

~There are more well known things such as are you carrying the baby high (girl) or low (boy). I have never been able to predict this one. Being pretty short, I also have one of the shortest torsos in the world. When I am pregnant, I carry only one way. Big and straight out!

~I have heard if you have a little bit of morning sickness it is a boy, but if you are very sick it is a girl. I have had morning sickness with all 4, haven't noticed a difference with the gender.

~The heart beat test. On the Internet it said this is an old wives tale that will not die off. This one has actually been fairly right with the other three. Em and Savannah always had a heart rate in the 160's and Brett in the 140's. But, they say there is no proof in it. Last appointment baby heart beat was 155. The result - a GIRL

~Then there is something about bleach or Drain-o mixing it with your pee to see what the color ends up being. I will admit, this is one I have not tried. Peeing in a cup and then adding Drain-O sounds like a chemistry experiment gone bad. Have any of you out there tried it?

~Then there is one that claims to be 98% correct in the results, the Chinese Calendar. This was apparently found ages ago and is found to be very accurate in knowing what you are going to have by looking at the month you conceived and cross referencing it with how old you were when you conceived. I figured out all of my kids, Em was supposed to be a boy but the other two were accurate. For this little baby, the result: a GIRL

There are a ton of other things out there, what are some you have heard of and have they been right for you? I just got such a laugh out of all of them and even the most accurate, an ultrasound can be wrong at times. My mom who works in Labor and Delivery has seen this happen more often than you would think. I guess the only real way to know is when the baby comes out and you can have a look for yourself. :)

7 comments:

Dusty And Mandi said...

Too funny! The only one I did was the chinese calendar and it was right. I personally think you are having a girl! But i've only ever been right once on ANY of my guesses. Ha ha

N. Taylor said...

Those are pretty crazy. I have never heard of the pee and Drain-O thing before. I hope you guys have a boy, but I am guessing it is a girl. So, what does it mean if you crave sweets, and have prickly leg hair, but you aren't pregnant? : )

Delahunty Family said...

There is some pretty crazy stuff out there. The heart beat for me was wrong and I don't know about the chinese calendar since we conceived right around my birthday so I didn't know how old I was one age said girl the other said boy so who knows. I haven't made up my mind yet what I think you are having but I'm leaning towards girl.

Karmen said...

Jody, you are hilarious! I'm glad you didn't try mixing drain-o with your pee. That's just weird. Maybe a chemical in it interacts with testosterone if you're having a boy! Who knows!?! It'll be fun to see which tests were right!

Anonymous said...

i think thats so fun that you've done most of the tests to see! my kids were opposite of what the heartrate said they should be but the chinese calendar was right on both and so was the penny. I think your having a girl, and totally think you should find out....pretty much just so i can know....lol i can't wait! :)

Lisa Sanderson said...

So the most accurate tests I've done are the first, an ultrasound and second checking visually after you've had the baby. I know tons of people who've sworn by this or that. I'm betting girl since your chances of have a girl increase as your husband ages.

brilin said...

I think the whole thing is a lot of fun. The drano test was huge when I was pregnant, and no ultrasounds to find out with. I must confess though many of my friends tried it (I don't remember if it was right) I never did, it seemed to gross to me. Having four girls, the heartbeat was right twice, the high/low thing I never could figure out and the penny thing was right 3 times. Oh well, we shall see in July at the latest--I think a girl too.